sexta-feira, 8 de março de 2013

International Women's Day - why it is still necessary

"Atong G. was 16 when relatives forced her to marry a 50-year-old man.

I did not know him before. I did not love him. I told my family, “I don’t want this man.” My people said,


“This old man can feed us, you will marry him”.










Mary eloped with her husband when she was 14. Her husband beat her severely and stabbed her for talking to another boy. As a result, she lost the use of her right hand. When her husband took her to the police station and accused her of adultery, the police caned her as punishment. Her husband was never charged for assaulting her. Mary now lives with her uncle.








In South Sudan 48 percent of girls between 15 and 19 are married. Marriage shapes the experiences, status, and security of South Sudanese women, and is at the center of many violations of their rights, with some marrying as young as age 12.



“My father refused me to go to school. He said it is a waste of
money to educate a girl. He said marriage will bring me respect in
the community. Now I have grown up and I know that this is not true. I cannot get work to support my children and I see girls who have some education can get jobs.”
— Mary K., Yambio County




Child marriage in South Sudan keeps girls out of school and contributes to high maternal mortality rates. Girls in South Sudan told Human Rights Watch that family members forced them to marry in exchange for dowry payments. Girls who try to resist forced marriages suffer brutal consequences at the hands of their families
."


in http://www.hrw.org/child-marriage-south-sudan

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qFP4au5WbMQ

another form of abuse...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário